Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information Page
HERKIMER BOCES REOPENING PLAN
(Subject to change upon guidance from the State)
At Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego Board of Cooperative Educational Services (Herkimer BOCES), our primary commitment is to the students and families we serve. Our priority must be keeping them safe. When the 2020-2021 school year begins, on-campus school will look much different than previous years due to COVID-19 and the health and safety measures that continue to evolve.
A BOCES provides requested services to its component school districts so we have worked closely with our component district leaders and staff as well as the BOCES leaders and staff to develop this reopening plan. Our BOCES Reopening Plan will define clear guidance for the reopening of our three buildings and seven programs and aligns with the regulations developed in collaboration with New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) and the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
On Friday, Aug. 7, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that in-person instruction is permitted in all regions of New York state for the start of the 2020-21 school year based on current COVID-19 infection rates, while also outlining new expectations for school reopening plans.
The Governor stated that spikes in virus transmission could prompt the state to close schools. At this time, decisions about the extent to which school takes place in-person or remotely will be made by individual school districts based on local factors.
The Governor also said school districts must make three distinct parts of their reopening plans (remote learning, COVID testing and contact tracing) easily available on their websites, and take specific steps to engage parents and teachers in the reopening process. That information can be easily accessed at the following links:
- Click here to read the BOCES' Tracing Plan.
- Click here to read the BOCES' Testing Plan.
- Click here to read the Pathways Remote Learning Plan.
- Click here to read the Technical Education Remote Learning Plan.
- Click here to read the Special Education Remote Learning Plan.
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDC About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities
- CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Frequently Asked Questions – Prevention
- CDC Prevention, Treatment of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- CDC Video Fight Germs. Wash Your Hands!
New York State Department of Health
- Call NYSDOH hotline at 1-888-364-3065 for more information about Coronavirus.
- NYS Health Department – Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Governor Andrew Cuomo on Twitter
Talking to Children about the Coronavirus COVID-19
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource (National Association of School Psychologists)
- Talking to Kids about the Coronavirus (Child Mind Institute)
- Just For Kids: A Comic Exploring The New Coronavirus (NPR)
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus (PBS)