The Oneida-Madison-Herkimer Counties School Boards Institute recently presented its 2023 Student Achievement Awards and Distinguished Service Awards to students and school officials in the region.
The students and school officials were joined by their nominators, families and local board members to be honored and share their stories during the annual event.
“This program is one of the highlights of every school year,” O-M-H SBI Coordinator for Board Training James Van Wormer said. “Congratulations to all of our winners.”
The O-M-H SBI Awards and Annual General Membership Meeting took place on Thursday, May 11, at the Twin Ponds Golf and Country Club in New York Mills. The O-M-H SBI includes 35 school districts in the Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES, Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES and Madison-Oneida BOCES regions.
During the event, O-M-H SBI President Robert Batson, who is also the president of the Poland Central School District Board of Education, gave the welcoming and closing comments. State Assemblyman Brian Miller and New York State School Boards Association representatives Bill Miller and Patrick Longo also spoke during the event.
Student Achievement Awards
The Student Achievement Awards are presented to high-school juniors who have demonstrated a positive attitude, which reflects initiative, a sense of responsibility and an ability to interact with others, including peers and faculty.
Recipients also perform academically to the best of their ability, have overcome a significant adversity and participate in extracurricular and community activities. Other criteria include strong character values and a post-graduate commitment toward a career goal or higher education.
The Student Achievement Awards were presented this year to the following students:
Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES region:
- Gavin Beardsley, of Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES and Mount Markham Central School District (nominated by Courtney Bishop)
- Zoey Caldwell, of Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES and Herkimer Central School District (nominated by Courtney Bishop)
- Cecilia Cole, of Central Valley Central School District (nominated by Michelle DelConte)
- Nathaniel Stone, of Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES and Central Valley Central School District (nominated by John Martin)
Oneida-Herkimer-Madison BOCES region:
- Frank Austin, of Remsen Central School District (nominated by Kathleen Nebush)
- Nicole Santa Maria, of Holland Patent Central School District (nominated by Mike Ferris)
- Daniela Savko, of Whitesboro Central School District (nominated by Taylor Jones)
- Mahalia Starling, of Utica City School District (nominated by Stephanie Gatto)
Madison-Oneida BOCES region:
- Isabella Champion, of Madison Central School District (nominated by Mike Lee)
- Anvita Corron, of Madison-Oneida BOCES BOCES and the New York State School for the Deaf (nominated by Leigh Ann Staudt)
- Ethan Payne, of Morrisville-Eaton Central School District (nominated by Karin Howlett)
- Emma Stagner, Madison-Oneida BOCES and Rome City School District (nominated by Tiffany Lerch)
- Daria Shokri, of Hamilton Central School District (nominated by Victoria Daoust)
Distinguished Service Awards
The Distinguished Service Awards are presented to outstanding volunteers – such as school board members – and superintendents who have dedicated time, continued support and vigorous action in the service of public education and the welfare of children. Recipients may have also demonstrated a positive influence in the greater community and in the state.
The Distinguished Service Awards were presented this year to the following school officials:
- Morrisville-Eaton Central School District Board of Education member Murry Ames (nominated by Morrisville-Eaton Central School District Board of Education President Brian Koehl)
- Madison-Oneida BOCES Board of Education President Douglas Gustin (nominated by Madison-Oneida BOCES Board of Education Vice President Richard Engelbrecht)
- Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES District Superintendent Sandra Sherwood (nominated by the Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES Board of Education including Board President Holly Pullis and component district superintendents including Little Falls City School District Superintendent Keith Levatino)
- Sauquoit Valley Central School District Superintendent Ronald Wheelock (nominated by Sauquoit Valley Central School District Board of Education President Dawn Miller)
Nicole Santa Maria