The Herkimer Region College & Career Scholarship Foundation is accepting applications for scholarships for 2021. Each year, this local foundation presents approximately a dozen scholarships.
Students eligible for these scholarships include those who are majoring in technical education in their high school program and plan to go to college next year. This includes virtually all students enrolled in the Technical Education Center located at Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES. Also eligible are those adults who wish to enroll in vocational training, such as practical nursing, at Herkimer BOCES.
New this year, the scholarship foundation will also offer a Career Award for students who gain employment in a Career and Technical Education field prior to or soon after graduation and incur expenses as a result of that employment. This award allows the reimbursement of up to $750 for trade-specific expenses such as employment clothing, personal protective equipment, tools, supplies, certifications, credentials and/or licenses.
Aside from the scholarships that students apply for, there are special incentive awards available for those pursuing careers in certain areas. These special funds are administered by the Herkimer Region College & Career Scholarship Foundation and are in addition to the scholarships offered through the general fund.
The special incentive awards are:
- The Paul A. Bouck Memorial Fund provides a scholarship to a student who is entering a field of study that relates to agriculture, a rural-related field or other related areas.
- The Robert A. Moore Memorial Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student who has completed the Herkimer BOCES Visual Communications Media Arts program and plans to further their training in the field of radio and television broadcasting.
- The Special Nursing Fund provides a scholarship to a nursing student in need of financial assistance.
- The Mower Family Farm Fund provides a scholarship to a student who will be pursuing occupations in the field of agriculture.
- The William E. Whitehill, Jr. Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student in the Technical Education Center who demonstrates the most improvement while in the program.
- The Chris Brockway Memorial Scholarship Award provides a scholarship to a student who completes the Criminal Justice program.
- The Papaleo/Dady Family Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student who successfully completes a two-year technical education program at BOCES with a minimum GPA of 85 percent.
- The Harry J. Enea Sr. Memorial Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student entering the mortuary science field.
- The Chester A. Scerra Memorial Scholarship provides a scholarship to a student pursuing an education in the field of culinary arts.
- The William E. Busacker Scholarship Award provides a scholarship to a student who has demonstrated leadership in causes that promote change to the status-quo, compassion for the less-fortunate, animal rights or other issues.
- The Hummel Family Scholarship Award provides a scholarship to a student who demonstrated community-minded focus throughout the student’s high school career.
Application forms are now available from guidance counselors in all Herkimer BOCES area school districts, the Technical Education office at the Herkimer BOCES William E. Busacker Complex at 352 Gros Blvd. in East Herkimer, online for printing at www.herkimer-boces.org/scholarshipfoundation or by calling Shawn Maxson at Herkimer BOCES at 315-867-2023. The deadline for submitting an application is March 1, 2021.
The Herkimer Region College & Career Scholarship Foundation is unique because all scholarships go to technical education majors, Herkimer Region College & Career Scholarship Foundation Board President Sharon Baisley said. Among the colleges being attended by winners of last year’s scholarships are Herkimer College, Marywood University, SUNY Polytechnic Institute and Brown University. Several nursing students were awarded scholarships to attend the Herkimer BOCES School for Practical Nursing.